The Neo-Classical Beaded Mirror is the latest in the beaded design series and pays particular attention to the forms, proportions and dimensions of existing Adam-Style Gilded Mirrors. Whilst there is of course some interpretation by the ‘beadsmith’ of the original 18th Century design, this Mirror is more refined than the previous beaded mirror designs. I am also quite taken by the basic rectangular form of the mirror’s frame. Rigid, four-sided shapes are rather ‘un-African’ and I think that this quadrangle form makes the contrast between the African beads and the Euro-centric design all the more exciting and explicit. The Neo-Classical Mirror’s Cresting has been applied with vertical festoons which catch light breezes – adding movement and a gentle Spirit to the piece. The shadows that are cast off the Mirror at night by Evening Lighting are equally as bewitching.
- RT @10and5: @MrChandlerHouse created an impressive replica of a traditional VOC dish during his time at the InAWE Residency - http://t.co/J… 12 hours ago
- RT @10and5: @MrChandlerHouse joins the InAWE Artist Residency Programme. @NokiaRSA @InAweStays #inaweresidency - bit.ly/1r19l6G 16 hours ago
- Would you rather have a paper-cut on your eyeball or change a duvet cover with your left hand? 1 day ago
- This is what the top of Table Mountain looks like. I had my 21st Birthday in one of these little huts. :) http://t.co/9L33d1GXPH 1 day ago
- Give me a child for seven years and I will give you and Aesthete. 1 day ago