The Neo-Classical Beaded Mirror is the latest in the beaded design series and pays particular attention to the forms, proportions and dimensions of existing Adam-Style Gilded Mirrors. Whilst there is of course some interpretation by the ‘beadsmith’ of the original 18th Century design, this Mirror is more refined than the previous beaded mirror designs. I am also quite taken by the basic rectangular form of the mirror’s frame. Rigid, four-sided shapes are rather ‘un-African’ and I think that this quadrangle form makes the contrast between the African beads and the Euro-centric design all the more exciting and explicit. The Neo-Classical Mirror’s Cresting has been applied with vertical festoons which catch light breezes – adding movement and a gentle Spirit to the piece. The shadows that are cast off the Mirror at night by Evening Lighting are equally as bewitching.
- RT @VISI_Mag: Michael Taylor's ceramic exhibition opens at @MrChandlerHouse's Voorkamer Gallery this week: bit.ly/1UIKCTB https://… 10 months ago
- RT @HouseGardenSA: Capetonians, don't miss 'While We Were Lost', an exhibition by Michael Taylor @MrChandlerHouse, opening 3 Feb https://t.… 10 months ago
- Jacob Zuma was sent to Earth to Unite South Africans after Mandela died. #ZumaMustFall 11 months ago
- RT @Curatably: The love of my blue and white Cape Dutch guest bedroom. @mrchandlerhouse plates and cushion… instagram.com/p/_Hjdk-NWr8/ 12 months ago
- RT @VISI_Mag: #ICYMI There's a pretty new exhibition at The Voorkamer Gallery at @MrChandlerHouse ---> bit.ly/1LQe6bl https://t.co… 1 year ago